Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A Birthday Fit for a Mama

My birthday this year was just perfect.

{As a side note, last year seemed to be glossed over due to our circumstances. I had just had the boys about six weeks before, and Briggs was still in the hospital recovering from his nasty infection. (you can recap here, and then follow up here and here, if you so desire.) All I wanted for my birthday last year was to have my two boys home together. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out that way, but we brought Briggsy Boy home the next day so it all turned out well.}

Last year.
{Ian} 

{Briggs} 


Anyway, so this year I was hoping for at least a little bit more of a celebration. Because as much fun as it was to drive to and from church and the hospital and home, it wasn't the most ideal of birthdays.

Of course this year was filled with scrubbing bathrooms, wiping noses, changing diapers, and chasing around two little boys, but that's just the way I like it. And the boys were seriously angels. They were just so adorable I couldn't help but nibble on their cheeks every time they came within an arms length of me {especially when reflecting on our sad separation last year.} And I did try to make it a little extra special.

Such as letting the boys have bubbles in their bath. 
I'm pretty sure they thought this was the greatest thing of all time.

And I even let them unroll some toilet paper.

They also got haircuts.
{B}

{I}
{You can tell who was a little more easy going with their haircut.}

And my parents certainly know how to make me feel special.
{I was told the flowers were for me, and the balloons were for the boys.}

And those balloons were definitely exciting.  

I was having a mild panic attack trying to keep them from popping these balloons because I really didn't want it to scare them and give them an eternal fear of balloons. I tried to teach them to be soft with the balloons and to bop them instead of squeeze them. And they did pretty good. 

Until Briggs loved his balloon just a little too much.

And fortunately he looked at me and giggled instead of cried. He then continued trying to bop his deflated balloon. I was quite relieved.

Jesse slipped out of work a little early and the four of us went out to dinner at a cute little Mexican place that had the fastest service for a sit down restaurant I've ever seen. 

We then came home to presents that my very own husband got for me and even wrapped! 
{He did tell me to keep in mind the story of the Widow's Mite when evaluating the wrapping job. I honestly could have cared less. I was just tickled that I got wrapped gifts this year. }


And I got great presents. 
My weights {and Jillian Michaels} have already kicked my trash and the snow cones are to die for. 

Plus I'm instilling good workout habits for my children. 
{I}

But maybe not so good eating habits...  
we'll work on that.

And then I took about ten pictures with my birthday buddies, and every time their expression was the exact same.
Briggs: expressionless.       Ian: fake smile.


I was dying by the end of the pictures once I realized their faces were not changing.
These boys are too funny.


Twenty-six is off to a fabulous start and I love it already.
I can't wait to see what is in store this year. 

1 comment:

  1. How in the heck do you keep them still to cut their hair? It looks great, BTW.

    ReplyDelete