Sunday, May 11, 2014

Apologies From The Last Pew

{I wrote this several weeks ago and never published, but I want to remember how it has been.}
As a side note, I've now been called as the Primary pianist, so our church days are different now. Quite possibly worse some days... if that's even possible.

On a beautiful Sunday morning we walked into church a full 5 minutes early and found the last pew available. Perfect. We sat down and quickly got our supplies ready for the meeting.
Cheerios. Check.
Books. Check.
Milk. Check.
Binkies. Check.
We must have been feeling particularly optimistic because we invited a gal and her baby to sit with us. Three adults and three babies. We're good to go.  

Oh how wrong we were.
Our boys were standing up on the pew, crawling down to the floor, trying to crawl under the pew in front of us as well as under ours. The snacks and milk worked for a few minutes but these busy littles of ours moved on quickly. Books lasted all of 30 seconds and binkies were spit across the bench. Then the screaming began. That high pitched giddy squeal that tells us they are happy and there's nothing we can do to stop it. They feed off one another and the squealing and attempts to escape rapidly progressed to higher octaves and more attempts and amid the chaos, cheerios went flying.
Like a lot of cheerios. The "why on Earth did I even pack this many cheerios in the first place" amount.
I looked at Jesse, we shook our heads, and luckily a giggle escaped instead of tears.
And then I looked over at the other baby and she was calmly sitting on her mom's lap, not making a peep. {She is about 5 or 6 months younger, but still!} 

My dad always says it's better to have kids with personalities than bumps on a log, but it would sure come in handy on Sundays. 

I really don't like to take our kids out of Sacrament Meeting because I don't want them to learn that they can pitch a fit and then get to go play in the hallway. But finally it got to be too loud and crazy in the back left corner and I sneaked out to the hallway with "my" baby. Jesse soon followed. We hit our limit. In fact, the head shake in sacrament meeting meant we would not be staying for the next two hours of church, but instead be heading home early for nap time. For everyone.

I am very sorry we're loud and messy. I'm sorry you probably can't hear every word of the speakers when we sit by you. I'm sorry you may be crunching cheerios on your way out. I'm sorry my child keeps trying to pull your hair. And I'm sorry you are probably rolling your eyes thinking we are in way over our heads. Some days we may be, but we're doing the best we can trying to instill good morals and teach our children about Jesus.

Maybe some day we'll be able to make it all the way through church.
Probably in 5 months when the boys go to nursery.


3 comments:

  1. I love this. 12-18 months old are some of the hardest days ever to go to church. If it makes you feel any better, I love it when I see somebody else's kids throwing cheerios because I feel like everybody is having to deal with the same things I am. Oh crazy kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when kids are doing all the above because it means they are normal even if the parents are ready to blow a gasket. These Littles are probably great entertainment for others around you and a welcome relief from the High Council Member's droning on and on about well-intentioned topics. Them going to nursery will probably be a welcome few weeks until you and Jesse are called to be nursery leaders. What better people to work in the nursery than you two who love children and love the Lord and His word/work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just so you know, that sounds like the typical Sacrament meeting with kids. Parents always think their kids are being so loud and everyone can hear, but in reality, they are quieter than you think and not everyone heard!

    There is a quote from a prophet in one of the RS Manuals from the past several years about if a child is asleep on the pew, they are still soaking in the sunshine of the gospel. I love that! If your child is out in the hall and you're showing him the picture of Jesus for the millionth time, or stuck in the mother's lounge for all three hours, your child is still soaking in the sunshine of the gospel. How awesome is that!!?

    The entire point is that you are at church, they are at church, and you are trying. Nate and I decided that there is never a good time to go and have church. It will always conflict with meals, snacks, and/or naps whether it is at 8:30am, 11, or 2:30pm. You just have to go and do your best and you will be blessed for it.

    ReplyDelete