Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Binky Detox | Update

I feel that we need an obligatory Binky Detox update. 

It's like I mentioned in the original post, they were champs at going to sleep sans Binkies. (Really haven't had any problems going to sleep at nap time or bedtime since the detox began.) And I slept great that first night. Jesse claims he was up a few times, but I don't know if I trust that. :)

Since that first night it's been a roller coaster. Some nights they are great, and other nights (like the last three or four in particular) it's a nightmare. But I'm not so sure it is lack of binkies or just that we are probably getting teeth, or they need a diaper change (because hello, these kids drink their weight in water every day), or they are thirsty. Who knows. But I can't just let them scream without me at least checking on them!

 Ian has been seriously struggling lately which has made for a very tired mama. But once again I don't know if it is necessarily due to not having a binky or just that he turned into an insomniac. One night (of course the night after I worked all day) he was up from 9:30 until about midnight! I was dying! He screamed every time I tried to lay him in his bed which is so not like him and instead he just wanted to walk circles around our apartment. And not just that, but hold my hand and bring me around the circle with him. I finally got out the pack-n-play and made him sleep there, crazy kid. The next night, same story. Screamed when I tried to lay him down and just wanted me to stand up and hold him or walk the circle. By night three of this routine I was starting to think he had insomnia or was having nightmares about his bed or something. Who knows. But on that third night he came out in the front room and just laid down. I decided that was fine and laid down on the floor with him and of course panicked when I woke up and remembered that my child was not in his bed and he wasn't where I left him! Luckily I turned around and he was still snuggled up on the floor in a different spot fast asleep. So we had yet another slumber party spent alternating between the floor and the couch.

At this point they still find binkies and sneak them here and there and I'm so tired that I don't even mind giving them binkies when they scream if that's what will calm them down! haha. How about that for a good binky detox?! I guess we'll get there eventually. Honestly I'm not too worried about them now that I know they can at least go to sleep without them. We've made good strides and they fall asleep without any problems, it's just that whole staying asleep part! It's pretty much like having a newborn again... except this time I don't have to pump/nurse and I don't currently have the super strength God gives to new parents to somehow cope on no sleep! Oh do I miss that super power right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment