Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Confessions of a twin mom


{About six or seven weeks old}

1. Some days I'm so busy with babies I forget to brush my teeth until part way through the day.

2. My children are covered in bumps and bruises, because let's be honest, I can't possibly watch both of them all the time. And some things even happen while I'm staring right at them.

3. Although I may appear mad when I leave the house, don't let the furrowed brows and downcast eyes deceive. It's not anger, it's simply that I am on a mission to get in, buy the things on my list, and get out. Believe it or not, I've most likely spent the last four hours working on getting everyone clean, dressed, fed, happy and out of the house.

4. At any given time, there may be ten bottles sitting in my sink, as well as another ten in my dishwasher. And probably another few lost throughout the house. (Maybe that's a sign there are too many bottles??)

5. I worry about favoritism. I try really hard to keep things fair but sometimes one baby needs more attention than the other, I just hope it isn't the same baby each time that gets more of my time.




6. Sometimes I get jealous of people who have vaginal deliveries (especially of twins). I know I shouldn't complain because I have two perfectly healthy babies, my recovery couldn't have been better, and there would have been a risk of a C-Section anyway, but I still wonder sometimes if I would have been able to do it.

7. I wish I had more pictures of me and my boys. I'm almost always the one behind the camera so I usually don't have pictures of the three of us doing things. It seems like most of the pictures I have with them are more staged, than our actual life.


I took these myself back when they were six months old. 
I didn't realize how much I would love having them.
{B}

{I}                    {B}

{I}


8. I wonder what it would be like to just have one baby. I know there are single babies that are extremely difficult and I would never exchange my two for one, but on the rare occasion I take a date with one kiddo to the store, it just seems so much easier. I swear my boys rile each other up which makes them extra busy together.

9. Some Sundays are too overwhelming with our rambunctious littles and we skip out of church a little early and resolve to try again the next week.
{B}

{B} 

{B} 

{I} 

{I} 

{I} 

10. Sometimes I don't know who is who in pictures. Not very often, but sometimes. I try to print them out regularly and label them, but that doesn't always happen.

11. I don't often hold them together, unless I really need to. Even when they were little. I just find it easier to interact and care for both of them if we can all be on the floor. When you have a baby in each arm, that's all you can do, hold. I much prefer to be down playing, instead of just holding.

12. My husband and I have been to the Temple together only once since our boys were born. {And if truth be told, it was just this past Valentine's Day.} It just seems so much harder to leave two babies with someone, especially when most of the someones we know already have a baby themselves.

13. The UPS guy is a frequent visitor at our house and always asks how the twins are doing. I'm pretty sure we would recognize each other outside of my doorstep.

14. We refer to our arm muscles simply as the "baby carrying muscles."

15. Even after ten months, I am unable to cook dinner before the littles go to sleep. Unless my crockpot is doing all the heavy lifting, it is just too tricky by the end of the day with two (sometimes fussy) munchkins hanging on my legs.

Honestly, I feel like having twins has been about what I expected. I knew it was going to be hard, but I knew it was doable. I was ok with slowing down my life for awhile and devoting my time to caring for them. Some days are really tough and it's a miracle we make it through the day, but other days are filled with giggles and interactions that I only get to experience because I have twins. Although I may complain sometimes, refuse to leave my house unless absolutely essential, and probably look like a crazy woman, I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for keeping it real! I am glad to know I am not the only Mom who finds time to brush my teeth for the day at 3 in the afternoon and that has dishes and bottles in the sink :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your perspective on it all...realistic, yet very positive! You are such a sweet mom!

    ReplyDelete