Thursday, August 7, 2014

Houston

When my little sister qualified for the Junior Olympics that was being hosted in Houston a couple of weeks ago, we knew we had to go! My mom and sister flew in to Dallas, we packed up the kiddos, and drove down to Houston. {Ironically enough, Jesse was in Houston the same week for work. Which means we didn't see him until the very end of the week, but this way I wasn't home all week by myself with the boys.}

{B}{I}and Kylie with the Nationals sign.



{B}        {I}

{B}    {I}

We found some serious humidity in Houston. It was stifling and wonderful all at the same time! 
{I}      {B} 

{I}     {B} 


We spent a lot of time going up and down the bleachers the first evening. We quickly learned to sit on the front row and go down behind the bleachers instead!


They saw fireworks for the first time at the opening ceremony. They both were completely enthralled! And it was an impressive fireworks show which made it even more fun!
{B}
{B}
{B}


They loved having their beds right next to each other. I heard lots of giggles while they were going to bed.

The boys do not usually like hats but they thought they were so cool in these hats and left them on really well!
{B}   {I}

Our breakfast area was frigid so we had to bring blankets to keep the boys warm through breakfast!
{B}

We had this great courtyard at our hotel. The boys loved wandering around the path and climbing on chairs and grass.
{B}
{I}

Ian found what he would consider the greatest toy ever in this little gazebo. A lid that covers a light switch. Two favorite things in one.
{I}
{B}
{B}
{B}
{B}   {I}
We spent a lot of time trying to keep the boys entertained at the meet each day!



{I}         {B}
{I}        {B}
{I}            {B}

{We spent lots of time reading books, doing stickers, drawing with crayons or on the magna doodle, eating snacks, and wandering around.}
{I}       {B}

{I}

{sometimes they found their own entertainment}
{I}         {B}

{B}
{B}



Sometimes they slept.
{I}


Sometimes they didn't.
{B}


Sometimes it just plain wasn't fun.
{I}


And sometimes we actually watched the runners.
{B}

{B}

{B}

{B}






And of course we did some swimming in the bath water temperature water.
The aftermath is almost as cute as the squeals, giggles, and jumps that occur during the swim!
{I}


And we even let the boys veg for a little while.
{so we could get a couple of things done!}
{I}    {B}


It was such a fun week! We had a blast in hot humid Houston watching crazy fast runners and getting cool tan lines on our feet.



But you should know that a hotel room is a hazardous place to take children.

Unless you want your children running (and screaming) halfway down the hall you'll remember that hotel door handles are sure easy to open if the top latch is not locked.

You'll also find that drawers and doors are too tempting to pull in and out and shut your brother's fingers in.

You'll also quickly remember that hotel rooms still have phones with a whole slew of buttons readily accessible for small nimble fingers.

And the tissues and toilet paper are positioned in just the wrong spots.

Luckily though the beds are just high enough that if you're lucky, one of your toddlers will be too scared to get off the bed by himself, so you can at least contain one child while you chase your other down the hallway.

1 comment: