These poor boys of ours have had a rough (not to mention, expensive) go.
First it was a NICU stay of 10 days.
Next, Briggs was back in the hospital for two and a half weeks.
Now it is surgery time.
Both kiddos were born with hypospadias.
And now for your medical education.
{Hypospadias is when the urethra opening is not at the end, but down on the underside of the penis.}
We decided to do the surgeries a couple of weeks apart with hopes of only having one fussy baby at a time, but the day was essentially the same for each of them so I'll clump it into one.
It was a long day.
The boys couldn't eat after 3:30am in preparation for surgery, so as a loving mother I couldn't help but wake them up at 3am and feed them as much as they could eat.
I then got ready and we checked into the surgery center at 5:30am.
I filled out paperwork, signed consent, answered medical history questions, and dressed them in the tiny hospital gown we were given.
Then they were wheeled back at 7:30am and I resigned myself to a corner of the waiting room with a book and waited a little nervously.
Ian's took about 3 hours but when the doctor came and spoke to me she said everything went beautifully and was even better than she had anticipated! I love hearing that!
Briggs' only took a little under 2 hours and went perfectly as well.
They placed a catheter in to let that new urethra tube rest and once they wake up from anesthesia and are able to eat a little bit we were sent home.
After a week the catheter is removed and everything finishes healing.
It makes for a rough few days, but it's for the best.
And let's be honest, they look adorable in the hospital gown!
Ian
Aug 20.
5:00am
He was pretty out of it the rest of the day.

Brigham
Sept 6
He was also pretty out of it for the day.
We decided to do the surgeries a couple of weeks apart with hopes of only having one fussy baby at a time, but the day was essentially the same for each of them so I'll clump it into one.
It was a long day.
The boys couldn't eat after 3:30am in preparation for surgery, so as a loving mother I couldn't help but wake them up at 3am and feed them as much as they could eat.
I then got ready and we checked into the surgery center at 5:30am.
I filled out paperwork, signed consent, answered medical history questions, and dressed them in the tiny hospital gown we were given.
Then they were wheeled back at 7:30am and I resigned myself to a corner of the waiting room with a book and waited a little nervously.
Ian's took about 3 hours but when the doctor came and spoke to me she said everything went beautifully and was even better than she had anticipated! I love hearing that!
Briggs' only took a little under 2 hours and went perfectly as well.
They placed a catheter in to let that new urethra tube rest and once they wake up from anesthesia and are able to eat a little bit we were sent home.
After a week the catheter is removed and everything finishes healing.
It makes for a rough few days, but it's for the best.
And let's be honest, they look adorable in the hospital gown!
Ian
Aug 20.
5:00am
Oh man I about died from the cuteness.
He was pretty out of it the rest of the day.
Brigham
Sept 6
He was also pretty out of it for the day.
This has just proven that these babies are wonderful. They have tolerated this whole ordeal beautifully. We had a rough couple of days with Ian but with a strict Motrin and Tylenol regimen they do pretty well. In fact we found that Ian gets a little loopy with pain medicine (and we all know how intense Motrin and Tylenol are, I can only imagine if he had something more!) Haha. He would just giggle for no good reason. It was hilarious!
And after all this is over, we'll be ready for a break.
I've already explained to them that they can't be having any more problems for several years.



Oooo it's no fun to take those little ones in for surgery. But you're right, those mini hospital gowns are to die for!!
ReplyDeleteOhhhh I can hardly stand to think of those babies in surgery! I just want to kiss their cute little chubby cheeks. I'm glad everything went well though! You are a super mom!
ReplyDelete