The third leg of our vacation was heading up to our old stomping grounds in Soda Springs, ID.
Our first stop was the swimming pool in Lava Hot Springs.
It has changed a lot since I was last there, making it even more fun!
We signed away our life on the tower waiver and of course headed there first.
{The third platform is 10 meters, almost 33 feet}
{Kylie} {Dad} {Kadin}
Kadin and Kylie jumped first.
Then my dad was up.
He got a running start, and caught some impressive air.... for an old man. :)
Jesse and I went as well, but we were too fast and my sister missed taking a picture of us jumping!
So being the good wife and documenter that I am, I made Jesse do it again with me before we left.
Because we all know if there's no picture proof, it didn't happen.
And I have to admit, the second time around was much better.
The first time, I must have forgotten how I used to jump off that tower because about halfway down I realized I didn't know what to do with my arms, or my legs, and I even let out a little scream which I NEVER do.
This time I actually planned ahead so I would know what to do with my limbs.
Although it looks like I have no clue what I'm doing with them until halfway down!
The boys of course had a blast as well.
They played in the big pool as well as in the great new kiddie area.
{B}
{I}
{B}
{I} {B}
{B} {I}
{B} {I}
I even got some snuggles from my Ian.
That's always the best.
{I}
-------------------------------------------------------------
And now for a walk down memory lane that no one probably cares about except for me. And my dad. And possibly the rest of the family that was crammed in our suburban. Maybe.
After our fun few hours in the pool, we hopped back in the car and continued the journey to Soda Springs. It is so pretty up in this area that we couldn't hep but turn into tourists and take a picture on the side of the road. {Soda is WAY in the background}
My dad grew up in Soda from about age 2 or 3 until he left for college and I grew up there from age 2 to 13, so we consider this our hometown. My brother Brad was about 9 when we moved to St. George so he remembers some things too, but he wasn't able to make the journey that weekend.
Our roadtripping crew.
We filled up the suburban to the brim.
Did I mention how pretty it is?
This is the end of the Wasatch Mountains.
I know you've always wondered where they end.
This is Alexander Reservoir.
If we ever complained in St. George about the water being a little chilly at the lake, my dad would ALWAYS tells us stories of how they would come out in May and chip off the ice for their first run on the lake. And how the water in St. George on a cool day is about the same as Alexander on a good day. And if only we were in Idaho, you wouldn't be complain.... etc.
He made us all stick our feet in.
And not going to lie... It was cold.
And as my dad kindly pointed out, this was the first part of August so this would be the warmest this lake ever got.
This is the launching area and dock at the reservoir! Haha! You can't help but giggle at that!
Oh just more scenery as we were driving all over the town to see the sights.
This is the dental office that my grandpa came to work in and later when my dad finished dental school he bought out my grandpa's partner and worked here with him for awhile until someone else came and bought out my grandpa. It is literally right across the street from my grandparents' old house.
Apparently I didn't get a picture of the whole house from the front.
This is my dad and the man who lives in my grandparents' house now.
Of course, they were friends so we were able to tour the house.
And not much has changed.
Such as the same basketball hoop that has been there forever.
And the curtains.
And even this dent my dad put into the bathroom door.
Oh and then there is the potato cellar... Just like I remember.
It was always really cool when we got to go down and get the potatoes for my grandparents.
This is the shed my dad built.
He is still pretty proud of that shed!
And this is the amazing view out the side of the house.
This was all weeds and trees I think from what I remember, so having it be wide open grass was sure pretty.
Ian was asleep in the car, but Briggs was hanging out with us and I just couldn't help but think he was adorable walking down the hill with us.
This amazing pool down from the house was all new too. Sure pretty!
The next stop on our tour took us to the first house my parents bought. We lived here from the time I was 2 until Kindergarten, and I only remember that because I recall having to recite my address in school and I asked if I should do my old or new address. I quickly learned our new one, and I still remember it. And my phone number from there. My mind is weird with numbers.
We had to stop at Hooper Springs and drink the soda water. It just isn't a trip to Soda without drinking the bubbly mineral water.
This shows you about how great it tastes.
{It's a little better mixed in some juice.}
I discovered my perfect teeter-totter partner is my sister.
Not so much my husband....
Although he is a good kisser.
And we make beautiful babies.
So it all works out.
This was our second home there. I could tell you all sorts of stories about this house. How we would sled down the hill in the backyard and go off the retaining wall and sometimes land in the window sill. Or how Brad and I mowed that yard when we were kids (I was the lucky one who got the riding lawn mower). Or how there was a barbed wire fence across the road that you would have to slide under if your sled went too fast down the front yard in the winter. Or how I took the trash down the driveway one day on my way to the bus and I slipped on the ice and the heavy garbage can fell back on top of me. I finally squeezed out from underneath it, popped my head back in the house to tell my mom the dumpster was laying in the middle of the driveway because I couldn't get it back up, and then had to face the busload of people who just watched all this happen. Yeah, lots of good times at that house. And you may have noticed most of them involved snow. It is winter for about 8 months out of the year.... and that's only a little bit of an exaggeration.
We stopped and talked to some old neighbors and good friends who have a son Brad's age. They were buddies way back in the day.
And now he's a jolly green giant!
{If I remember right he's 6'7!}
We stayed the night at my best friend's house. Time warped when I stepped into their house. It was exactly how I remembered it. I spent probably half of my childhood in that house and it felt like I had come home.
Here's Mama Sonia, our gracious host.
And these boys were amazing. They traveled so well all over the place!
They just go with the flow thankfully.
And the last stop on our Idaho adventure was a big Dorius family reunion.
All descendants of Floyd and Laura Dorius {My great grandparents on my dad's side}
It has been several years since we got together so it was fun to see everyone.
Here's a smattering of pictures from the day. Sorry I'm too lazy to label all of them. This post is becoming too long as it is!
These are our three sets of twins on my side. My siblings, my cousins, and my boys.
So awesome.
My grandparents.
I know I gush about how cute they are, but seriously... they're cute.
{B} {I}



No comments:
Post a Comment