Monday, November 25, 2013

30 Days of Gratitude: 16. Scriptures

Earlier this year, our church congregation was challenged to read the Book of Mormon from start to finish within the year. We believe the Book of Mormon is another testimony of Jesus Christ and compliments the Bible. It is one of the defining features of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and we believe you will grow closer to God through reading it and praying about it.


I had pushed the thought of reading the whole Book of Mormon again to the back of my mind since I found out about it during the summer (or maybe I heard about it before but it was not computing in my pregnant brain?!) when we finally started going back to church after having the babies. I had thought it would be nice to read it again but that I would just try to read it a little more often and if I finished then great and if not, no big deal. I started reading more while I was pumping or nursing, while the babies were sleeping, or any other few minutes I had to spare. It was slow work but I was reading more than I used to so I figured it was a good thing.

Well then it dawned on me that I could listen to them throughout the day and go through it much quicker. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me earlier, but it was wonderful. I found myself noticing things I hadn't noticed before, and understanding differently now that I have crossed the threshold into parenthood, and my days were less stressful and enjoyable. 

While I'm still not quite done, I think I'll be able to finish by the end of the year which I am excited about. It makes me be a better mother, understand gospel principles better, gives me guidance, reminds me that God listens to me and answers prayers, and offers an eternal perspective so I can have more patience and understanding.

If you would like a copy or have any questions regarding the Book of Mormon or about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment